Hassan Razavi co-founded MESHKAT, an Iranian international law firm, after working as Counsel and head of the Tehran office of August Debouzy, a Paris-based international law firm. He started his practice as member of the Iran Central Bar Association and in-house legal expert for international companies and JVs in Iran. He was notably head of the legal and compliance department of Naftiran Intertrade Co., the financial arm of the National Iranian Oil Company in Switzerland, tasked with trading crude oil, oil products and financing oil and gas projects in Iran, before becoming managing partner in an Iran-based international law firm, Vakil.
Hassan also lectured on economic sanctions and international trade law at McGill University’s Faculty of Law, in Canada, where he spent two years as a postdoctoral fellow. Hassan is currently Canadian Arbitration Practitioner (member of ICC Canada’s Arbitration Committee) and a professor at the University of Tehran’s Faculty of Law and Political Science where he teaches international investment law, oil and gas law and international commercial law.
Hassan advises companies throughout their business projects in Iran, covering issues such as compliance with applicable restrictive measures, the establishment of commercial presence, tendering in government projects, localizing commercial contracts, protecting intellectual property and dispute resolution. He also assists clients in their dealings with Iranian authorities on matters involving tendering, FIPPA and stock exchange investment licenses, manufacturing, taxation and labor issues.
Oil and Gas
McGill University Faculty of Law, Postdoctoral Fellow (Economic Sanctions), 2015
University of Neuchâtel Faculty of Law, PhD in International Trade Law, 2013
University of Tehran Faculty of Law, LL.M in Private Law (Civil and Commercial), 2007
University of Tehran Faculty of Law, B.L. in Law, 2005
ADMITTED TO THE BARS
Iran Central Bar Association, 2005
Persian | English | French | Arabic
RECENT REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS
- Naftiran in financing South Pars Gas-Condensate Field Phases 12 & 19 (with Petropars) and South Azadegan Oil Field (with Inpex and later CNPC);
- Naftiran in execution of buy-back agreements of Darkhovin oilfield (with Eni S.p.A), South Pars Phases 4&5 (with Eni S.p.A and Petropars) and Phases 6,7&8 (with Statoil ASA);
- Naftiran in oil swap ICC dispute and dispute over North Sea Rhum Gas Field with BP P.L.C.;
- Naftiran and its subsidiaries in de-listing dispute from the EU list of sanctioned entities;
- Advising major companies on direct and indirect investment in Iran, acquisition of shares in local companies and investment in Tehran Stock Exchange;
- Establishing representative office and legal entities in Iran for major companies in telecommunication, construction and information technology sectors;
- Assisting in setting-up a compliance structure for companies in oil and gas, telecommunication, water treatment, mining and construction sectors;
- Localizing commercial agreements and contracts in distribution, information technology and hospitality sectors in accordance with Iranian law;
- Advising French companies on tax issues and application of Iran-France Tax Treaty in relation to their business;
- Advising French and Spanish companies on tax and social security issues of their expatriates in Iran.